A Group Discussion (GD) helps the companies to hand pick candidates who showcase:
- The ability to interact with many people at once
- Confidence while talking to others, especially unknown people
- Good listening habits
- Knowledge about certain topics and can present that knowledge to others
- Presentation of their ideas in a clear and lucid manner (no difficult words/phrases/language please!!!
Generally (not always), a GD proceeds in the following manner:
- Six to Twelve candidates sitting around the table
- Topic is given by conductor and 1 to 2 minutes time to ponder over the topic
- 30 Seconds time given to each candidate to introduce the topic
- 10 to 15 minutes for discussion
- Any particular candidate or all would be given time (generally 30 seconds) to conclude or summarize the discussion.
Some points to be considered during a GD:
- Make sure you understand the topic well. Ask the mediator to repeat it if you don’t get it the first time. Doing so is not considered wrong and it doesn’t count against you.
- Don’t interact with or look at just one candidate, address everyone at the table. That is the point of a group discussion!!!
- Starting a GD does not ensure selection, you have to be part in between too and give a good summary too, if asked to.
- Don’t come up with vague facts. If someone counters them with solid facts which might leave you speechless, then your chances are at a risk.
- Don’t make personal statements/comments.
- Don’t deviate from the topic. This may cause another candidate or the mediator to interrupt you and ask others to start in the right direction.
- Understand the difference between Conclusion and Summary.
- Listen to other candidates. Take notes while you can- it shows you are listening and also helps while summarizing.
- Do not add anything new while summarizing or concluding. Repeat what was said and discussed in the GD.
Following Group Discussion topics were asked in GD round by some of the best companies which visit DCE:
McKINSEY KNOWLEDGE CENTER
¨ Government Jobs VS Private Jobs
¨ Is UN 51st star of U.S.A. ?
THE SMART CUBE
¨ BRIC Countries
¨ Honor Killing
¨ Should Our Ministers Use Social Networking Sites?
¨ Is Pink the New Blue?
ERNST & YOUNG (ITRA)
¨ Is Fasting Bigger than Democracy?
¨ Is MBA necessary for Business Success?
¨ Nice Guys Finish Second?
ERNST & YOUNG (IT ADVISORY)
¨ Is India destination of only Backhand Jobs?
¨ Which is a bigger threat to Indian economy- growing population or corruption?
¨ Growing Economies: India & China
¨ Is Fasting Best Way to Achieve any Political Change?
¨ Indian Villages: Strengths and Weaknesses
¨ Social Networking: Boon or Bane?
ROYAL BANK OF SCOTLAND(Intern)
¨ Can You Do Anything to Achieve Your Goals?
¨ Is Increasing Freedom the Reason for High Divorce Rates in India?
¨ Should the legal age of 25 years for alcohol consumption be decreased?
¨ Is FMCG industry on the sunset or on the sunrise in India?
¨ Hard Work or Smart Work
NEUERTH PRIVATE LIMITED
¨ Correlation between Education and Success
¨Organize a Diwali Fest in your college